Mar 25, 2016

God is _____? Part 3


A follow up to my post God is _____? Part 2


 


   "Love...does not envy..."  1 Corinthians 13:4


   In this series, we have already gone through two descriptions of God.  God is patient.  And God is kind.  But now we come upon something that God is not.  God does not envy.

   I think "envy" is a word that we don't use a lot in the 21st century.  Maybe it would help if you mentally replace it with "God is not jealous".  Jealousy and enviousness are basically the same thing.  They both involve looking at something or someone and wishing that you were more like him/her. 

   According to one dictionary, envy is... a feeling of discontent or covetousness with regard to another's advantages, success, possessions, etc.

   How much do you struggle with being jealous?  Perhaps you are jealous about someone else's gift.  Perhaps you are jealous about someone else's popularity.  Perhaps you are jealous about someone else's physical beauty.  Whatever it is, it is wrong.  Why?  Because God says so!  (See Mark 7:22, James 3:16, or 1 Peter 2:1)

   There are several notable stories in the Bible about people who were jealous...and how it led to their downfall.  Remember Cain and Abel?  Cain's jealousy led to the murder of his own brother!  Or Rachel and Leah?  Their relationship was destroyed by their jealousy of each other.  Or King David and Bathsheba?  Their son died because of their sin together!

   It's easy to see that bad things happen because of envy in people's lives.  But what causes jealousy?  According to François de la Rochefoucauld: "In jealousy there is more self-love than love."  

   Jealousy, or envy, is caused by loving yourself more than others.  By wanting your way.  By wanting your desires above others.

   So how can we get rid of envy in our lives?  I think it's by having the opposite of envy in our life.  What is the opposite?  Contentment.  Peace.  Love.  Generosity.

   Why don't we try (and ask God's help!) to have love for others instead of envy.  When you see someone with something that you wantpopularity, intelligence, material possessions, talentswhy don't you try to replace the envy?  Consider the other person as more important than yourself.  Become a servant like Jesus.  Instead of getting jealous, complement them.  Be glad for them.  Tell them that you admire their talent, gift, etc.  Show Jesus' love!  Get rid of envy and replace it with something worthwhile.  Something that won't tear people down.  Something that can make a difference.


   What are your thoughts about "Love Does Not Envy"?  How can we replace envy with love in our daily lives?  What is the hardest thing for you to not be envious about?  Comment below!

10 comments:

  1. That is wonderful, Hosanna! You are an amazing writer...I always love the way you make things so simple and straight forward. >3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Hannah! It has helped me understand the topics by researching them for myself and organizing my thoughts into a blog post. =) And they are such important topics to remember!

      Delete
  2. Wonderful post, Hosanna! Thank you for writing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! And you're welcome! =D I am glad that you enjoyed it!

      Delete
  3. Ahh, I love series like this! I really love how you touched on jealously and envy and how we need to replace that with God's love. True love does not consist of envy or jealously, but rather of dying to ourselves. Thanks for the encouragement and I look forward to reading more of your posts in the future! I hope you will check out my blog if you ever get a chance :)
    -Lauren <3
    lovingourcreator.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lauren! Dying to ourselves is SO hard! It really takes the Holy Spirit and God's help to do it...but it's amazing how He will take all of our burdens when we give up our lives for Him!

      Thanks for checking out my blog. =) I'm going to visit yours! ♥

      Delete
  4. This is a great topic, Hosanna! I think I am probably jealous a lot more than even I realize. It is easy to fall into jealousy. Thank you so much for this reminder!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, Bethany! I think a lot of us are jealous more than we ever know...for instance, anytime we see someone, we mentally "check them out" and measure them according to ourselves. That causes either envy of the other person or superior feelings (pride).

      I am glad you enjoyed the post! =)

      Delete
  5. Oh, I really liked this post, Hosanna! It's interesting what a fine line there is between envy and righteous jealousy, because God is a jealous God. But not in the hateful, selfish way that we, as sinful men, can only apply it. Really thought provoking.

    Oh! And I have a button on my sidebar now if you want it :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Abi! Yes, it can be really confusing if you take that into account. =) I think it's probably hard for our human minds to comprehend the difference. =) But it is something to think about...

      Thanks for letting me know! I'll be adding it to my blog! =D

      Delete