Oct 24, 2017

Behind Life's Curtains
























In an hour, I'm going to go to yet another practice for our play Anne of Green Gables.  We'll spend two hours together trying to finalize the first act.  And, in three weeks, we'll be on stage performing the final showcase before an audience.

There's something the audience will never know.  They'll see the mastered play (hopefully, haha), the colorful costumes, and the story we'll portray.  They might be excited or amazed by the acting.  They might enjoy it.

But they won't know what happens behind stage.  The audience won't see the friendships built over months of practicing.  They won't know the silly blunders and embarrassing mistakes we've made.  And they won't know that only weeks before the performance, we didn't even have our lines memorized.

They'll see a play.  They'll go home.  And they'll continue living life.

Sometimes, I think that's what we do too.

We get busy.  We live life, whatever that includes.  Each day fades away as we move on to another.  Then another.

But there's more.  Life holds something beautiful that we often miss.  We spend so much time working to staying on top of our schedules (or catching up on what we've missed) that we fail to see that there's a deeper meaning to life behind the red curtains.

Jesus shares something similar in one of His parables.

Then He said, "To what shall we liken the kingdom of God? Or with what parable shall we picture it? It is like a mustard seed which, when it is sown on the ground, is smaller than all the seeds on earth; but when it is sown, it grows up and becomes greater than all herbs, and shoots out large branches, so that the birds of the air may nest under its shade." - Mark 4:30-32

Sometimes we're like that mustard seed.  We feel small and unimportant.  But if we stop there, we'll miss the entire point: our job is to grow into something more.

I want to change the world and make a difference in someone's life.  But sometimes I feel like a seed.  I sit here in my safe house and do safe, mundane things.  I write school papers while the stories on my heart sit in silence.  I do chores and practice plays and singing and other activities.  And then I go to bed after another day and wonder, "did it really matter?"

We see the play, but we miss the wonder behind stage.

Dear friend, sometimes we aren't called to change the world the way we think we are.  We don't have to become the next best-selling author to make a difference.  We don't have to have a thousand followers to change a life.

We must be faithful with what we have.

The smallest word can brighten a someone's day.  A smile can make someone realize that they're not alone.  A comment, share, hug, gift, or verse can change a life.

Maybe we're the person in the parable of the talents who was only given two talents.  (read here)  But we can't sit here and wonder why we don't have something more.  We must use what God's given us so that we can hear His wondrous words,

"Well done, good and faithful servant; you have been faithful over a few things, I will make you ruler over many things. Enter into the joy of your lord." - Matthew 25:23

And that's enough.  Imagine finishing life and hearing your Savior's voice beckoning you forward.  Enter into the joy of your Lord.  He would wrap His arms around you, pull you towards His heart, and keep you there, safe and secure in His Love.  Would you need anything else?

It's easy to become discouraged with where you are in life.  It's easy to want what someone else has instead of realizing the beauty you already have.  But remember this:  God has a plan for your future.  He knows your desires and hopes and has something even more wonderful.  It might not be what you expect, but it's perfect.  (see Jeremiah 29:11-12)

But if He's convicting you to do more or life radically, don't push it aside.  His plan is wonderful, but you must follow His leading.  Be faithful with your talents, whether you have one or two or five.  God can use even the little things in life to make a difference.

Love Him in the busyness.  Love Him in the mundane.  Love Him in the hard times. And remember that He has a plan.  Follow.

Even though it can be messy behind stage, God has a wonderful play in the making.


20 comments:

  1. What a good reminder. God's Word is sufficient to give us strength, encouragement and wisdom for each day. Thank you for prodding us back to His Word again through the account to the three stewards and their talents. Thank you, my friend, and praise God. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so true, Jordy. Without Him, I don't know how we could go on, because He's the giver of every good gift. To live without His strength, encouragement, and wisdom would be an impossibly hard life. Maybe we don't even need the three talents. With Him, we could be content even if we never received anything else. He's enough. (putting that into action is a harder task, however) =)

      As you said, praise God!! ♥

      Delete
    2. I agree that maybe we don't need the three talents. He is enough to deeply satisfy. But what a pleasure to be part of His Kingdom work! And they are His talents, after all! <3

      Delete
    3. That is a sweet blessing indeed! To not only have Him but also to cause Him to smile through the gifts He gives. I wonder if it saddens Him when we rush through life and miss out on the glory He's given us...

      Because He tells us to rejoice in the Lord always. And again - rejoice! What a blessing.

      Delete
  2. Thank you Hosanna, for this reminder. I like how you said, "We see the play, but we miss the wonder behind the stage."
    It's easy to get caught up, in well, life. Sometimes we forget why we're even here. A life without Christ is a life unlived. Yet sometimes we forget to see the wonder of life. For anyone else taking a look in my life it may seem uninteresting... but for me I've learned (well, am learning) to cherish the moments. Something I've been learning recently is to cherish each moment while keeping my eyes focused on Jesus and eternity.
    "Love Him in the mundane." Sometimes it seems like we aren't making an impact, or maybe that we aren't making a difference... but we need to remember to love Him through all circumstances. And to live for Him through everything.
    Thanks for this reminder... keep living for Him :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I'm learning a similar lesson, Sarah. But I still struggle to cherish each moment and give them to Him. It's easier to live for myself, but how much sweeter to surrender it all to His will!

      I just read your post on living for Christ. =) How timely! Sometimes our agenda isn't the same as His. We might not see the beauty in the mundane, or we might want more in life. But His plan is perfect for us. "We love because He first loved us." Like a child seeks to please her father, so we also should desire that deep satisfaction knowing that our lives make Him smile. ♥

      I'm going to steal your quote: a life without Christ is a life unlived.

      Delete
    2. You can definitely "steal" my quote... I probably read it somewhere anyways :). It's a struggle to learn to cherish each moment... I had to catch myself earlier today because I wanted to do something but my mom had asked me to help with something. But I think we can still find joy in doing mundune things like chores - it's satisfying to know you accomplished something... that said I still struggle with it.

      Delete
    3. I like that you mentioned finding joy in the mundane...today I heard a piece of advice from a published author/poet. He said that although many non-fiction pieces are based on tragic or astounding events, sometimes the best thing to write is just our lives. Each individual has their own unique story and perspective. I might relate to something that seems ordinary, but other people may have never considered or saw it from that perspective. So Sarah, I guess I'm wanting to say this: there's beauty in every facet of life. Embrace it. And praise Him for it. =) It's encouraging to hear how you're already growing in this area of loving God. ♥

      Delete
  3. You have no idea how much I needed to hear this! Beautiful, BEAUTIFUL post, Hosanna. <3 We may not have much, but if we're faithful to give what we DO have, the Lord loves it nonetheless and has heavenly rewards waiting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That makes me so happy, Lila!! I'm glad it encouraged you. =) I agree. God does call us to change the world, but it starts with where you are right now. We must be faithful in little things so we can be faithful in large ones.

      God loves you so much, Lila; keep trusting Him. He's always in control. ♥

      Delete
  4. That's a powerful analogy! Thanks so much for the reminder and encouragement. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And thank you for the loving words, Jess! You're a constant source of encouragement (even in the many posts you write that I fail to comment on). I'm striving to keep up with the 31 Hugs challenge... and it has turned around and blessed me many a time.
      =) Thank you...and keep shining for Jesus!

      Delete
  5. WELL HI THERE. I SURE HAVE BEEN ABSENT ROUND THESE PARTS. *hugggs* I have been reading every post you've been posting these last few weeks--just haven't been commenting!
    These were great insights, girl...we don't need to always worry about affecting the WHOLE world. We just need to focus on PEOPLE and on what God wants us to do in their lives, and not on the agenda we have of changing the world. By the way, never feel like what you are doing is insignificant--if you are doing it for the glory of God, it is alwaysalwaysalways significant. Your ministry through this blog is pretty significant, just saying. ;)
    And you were in a play?! How fun!! How did it go??
    -Ariel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ariel!! How lovely to *see* you again. *hugs back*

      Yes, it's too easy to focus on ourselves instead of others. =( But that's why Christians are different. We're supposed to be transformed by the renewing of our mind - having a mind like Jesus. (Romans 12:1-2) That's why I need to focus and dig into Project Love. I need more love for Him and others. =)

      How about you? How have you been loving others and living for Jesus in a radical way? Thank you for the encouragement. =) And yes, I am in a play! We're performing in 3 weeks. It's been a great opportunity to make new friends and build relationships. But we're working on memorizing those lines. ;)

      Praying for you tonight, Ariel. God's using you, even if you can't always see it. He's faithful. ♥

      Delete
    2. Right--it's so important for the church to realize the importance of love. The church can be super active and doing all these great things for God but do they have love? That's what I believe we as Christians need to be focusing on more.
      I prayed together with a couple of my family members this morning--which for some reason still intimidates me. ;) I suppose you could say that was the most 'radical' thing I did today! Kind of pathetic, I know, but better a little than nothing amiright?! xD
      I'm sure it is a great opportunity to make wonderful friends and awesome memories--and LOVE! <3
      AWK you are so sweet, Hosanna. <333 Thank you for the encouragement!! He is SO faithful, isn't He?
      What opportunities have YOU found to love today?
      -Ariel

      Delete
    3. That's what it always comes down to, doesn't it? More Love. More Jesus. Recently I've been thinking about the Church and we often aren't doing what the Christians in Acts did. And you know what? I think it does come down to Love. The Church needs to love God more. And we need to love people.

      Ariel, no step is too little - it's still a step! Keep pressing on, girl! God uses even the small acts of faith. How big did He say faith had to be? As small as a mustard seed. =) I'm proud of you!

      I'm not as diligent at loving others as I should be, but I did get a chance to do some today! My sister and I went around Wal-Mart and tried to start conversations with strangers and give them a Gospel track. =) We're both shy, but what fun! Just loving people. And smiling. =) And God uses it in amazing ways... we always end up more joyful after blessing others. =)

      Keep stepping out! ♥

      Delete
  6. Very true. Mundane-ness is a great place to serve God. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, because everywhere is a great place to serve God!! =) In the dark, hard, dirty, busy, or tired times of life, we can still serve and praise Him. Maybe it's hardest during the mundane times though, because then we don't always realize our need for Him.

      But He's always good. Always.

      Delete
  7. Wow, I really needed this. Thank you. <3

    ~Skylar

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome, sweet Skylar! Life doesn't always feel beautiful, but He always is. Keep smiling; keep praising Him even when it's hard. That's when it counts the most. ♥

      Delete